background

Friday, September 7, 2012

Checking for Understanding & TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

Hi, Friends!
How was your "Woo-Hoo" Friday?

Can I just say how much I love my class??
And can I just say how much more I love the brilliant Sisters, and the Daily 5???!
My aide and I decided what we have implemented in just a few short weeks is a far-cry from the loud, "controlled chaos" that was my literacy block last year.
Seriously, the Sisters...GENIUSES!

Anywho, we are currently building stamina for Read to Self (we're up to 16 min), Work on Writing (we're up to 10 min) and Read to Someone (8 min).
On Monday, we will launch Word Work, and we'll have a lesson on Checking for Understanding during Read to Someone.
I really wanted to find a cool checkmark to utilize during that time, but have yet to find one that strikes my fancy.
I also wanted it to double as my "coaching sheet" when they start to work on that aspect.
Since I couldn't find one I loved... I made one!
It's supposed to resemble a megaphone:)
You just print and fold it in half, so one side is your Checking for Understanding and the other side is your Coaching sheet. I plan on printing mine on card stock, and letting the kids add some color and "personality" to their megaphone (though not over any of the words).

If you love it as well, feel free to use it.
If not, please let me know how I can make it better!!


Okay, everyone...I NEED YOUR HELP!

I am currently 17 followers away from triple digits, and I have an UH-mazing giveaway planned when I hit 1-0-0...
...so, spread the word! 
Tell your friends, and tell them to tell their friends, and so on and so forth, so we can get this party started!
Many of the bloggers I admire and aspire to be like are taking part in donating FABULOUS prizes, so don't delay...act now!

Hope your weekend is super relaxing.
We had a bit of fall-ish weather that is putting me in the mood to make some Fall Fry Phrases...be back soon with that Freebie:)
Thanks for hanging with me, dear friends!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amber. Great idea for the check for understanding. We are well under way with that also, but is definitely hard for the some of the kids. I like that it holds them accountable though and we keep practicing! :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete