background

Sunday, July 7, 2013

CGI Math, Part 2

Thanks so much for checking in with part 2 of a "math revelation" from my recent training!
Button Graphics by Ashley Hughes, and Goodness & Fun
Fonts by KG Fonts, and bmdesign

I know I really don't need a button for this post---it's not a linky or anything fun like that:)
But I just couldn't help myself; I am just so pumped about how this training is going to impact my kiddos!!
And if graphics designers and font makers would just stop already, we would all have a lot more time on our hands, right? ---but PLEASE DON'T STOP MAKING GRAPHICS AND FONTS, YOU TALENTED PEOPLE!!

In case you missed yesterday's post (with a much-needed intro to today's), click here.
There is a freebie for math journaling, but do read the post all the way through so you have an idea of what I'm building on today:)

I think the most mind-boggling tidbit I came away with from this training was that even K-1 kiddos need to be exposed to multiplication and division, through word problems---and NOT just at-the-EOY/for-your-"high"-kids-only!
Many of these problems are actually easier to solve than double-digit addition/subtraction or missing addend/subtrahend problems.
Does that make sense?

Honestly, I was mystified by that concept. 

Obviously, you would never give your average Kindergartner or 1st grade student a "naked number" problem like this: 2 x 6 = ?
Unless they had quite a bit of exposure to it, they would have no idea what to do.
But if you set up a problem with words and actions they understand, they will surprise the heck out of you!

Here's an example:

This is a very simple multiplication problem, for most of us:)
We might be inclined to think that students in K-1 would struggle solving this.
Based on how we teach them to solve word problems, they might even add 2 and 6...and be frustrated when they do not get the right answer.

However, if a young child has no prior knowledge of how you want them to go about solving this problem, they will DIRECTLY MODEL exactly what the problem says!

They might want an object to represent the pan, or they might draw a pan.
Then, they will probably want a manipulative to represent each cookie (counter, unifix cube, etc) or they might draw circles for cookies, and they will do exactly what the problem says by putting 6 "cookies" on each pan.
After that, a direct modeler will probably count each cookie by 1's and tell you there are 12 total cookies (if they can count that high without error).

Once you think about it in that light, it does seem easier than 22 - 15, right?
Think of all the steps involved with solving that problem---if you were a brand-new mathematician!

CGI has completely changed the way I want to teach mathematics to my students!
I realize my district (like many of yours) has an implemented math "program" to help teach the standards to our students, and I will utilize this program to its fullest potential....
...but I will also be pulling much of what I learned during small group time to help my students build confidence in their problem-solving abilities!

I am obviously not a trained instructor for CGI.
If I was, these posts would be in a much more sequential order:)
So if anything I have said leaves you cloudy on the subject,  
here is a very informational link that might clear some things up!
I also suggest you talk with your principal or curriculum coordinator and see if they can find more information, or trainings to bring to your area.
Getting this information second-hand in no way compares to getting your hands on it yourself!

A HUGE push for me to 'pay attention and listen up' is the fact that CGI's practices and information seems to clearly be embedded in the Common Core Math Standards.
CGI identifies "problem types" to give your students, and these are precisely (though worded differently) what you can find in Table 1 of the Math Glossary for CCSS.

Well, that about wraps it up for me.
Oh yeah, I promised you a freebie for coming over 2 days in a row:)
Click on the pic below for 15 simple word problems I will be using at the beginning of the year!


Each problem stems from stories I will be sharing with my students during August and early September, to help enforce procedures and routines in my room.
I just thought it would be fun to also use these characters with some early word problem practice.
I didn't label it on the cover page, but these problems are best for K-2 students, though probably more mid-year for K kids.
The numbers deal with sums of 5, then a few sums of 10, with the exceptions of the two multiplication problems (like the one pictured earlier in this post).

I hope you can use them for journals or small group time.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your posts on this! I am very interested in how you will introduce math journals to the kids. I have used math journals before, but find myself being inconsistent with using them and getting started with them. Great information.

    ReplyDelete